Portuguese soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo was, on Tuesday, reimbursed over $300,000 for legal fees he spent while defending himself in a federal civil case alleging he had raped a woman in a Las Vegas hotel room in 2009, CNN reports.
The case was dismissed in June after the judge found that the plaintiff’s lawyer engaged in misconduct so severe that it would be impossible for Ronaldo to have a fair trial.
US District Judge Jennifer Dorsey ruled the attorney representing the accuser Kathryn Mayorga, Leslie Stovall, pay Ronaldo $334,637.50. The court found Stovall owed the money after the attorney was judged to have harmed the footballer through “bad-faith lawyering.”
According to the US news platform, Ronaldo’s legal team had sought more compensation, but Dorsey concluded Ronaldo and his lawyers had dragged the case on longer than necessary.
The case was dismissed with prejudice, meaning Mayorga cannot refile the complaint.
Mayorga said she was coerced into signing a non-disclosure agreement and $375,000 settlement following the alleged rape, which Ronaldo has maintained was a consensual sexual encounter. Mayorga had asked a judge to void that agreement.
- Nollywood actress Omoseyin gets N5m bail, trial begins April 3
- Court orders Benue to pay retirees N26.3m
- Forgery: Court stops police from arresting Justice Odili’s ex-aide
The existence of the settlement was first reported by the German newspaper Der Spiegel in 2017 using leaked confidential communications from Ronaldo’s attorneys.
Last year, a court found that Stovall reached out to the source of that leak to request those documents, including “the reporting and communications of the attorneys and investigators representing and defending Ronaldo following the sexual assault thru the negotiations and conclusion of the settlement and non-disclosure agreement.”
“Stovall’s repeated use of stolen, privileged documents to prosecute this case has every indicia of bad-faith conduct,” Judge Dorsey wrote on Friday.
The judge found that “the misappropriated documents and their confidential contents have been woven into the very fabric of Mayorga’s claims,” stating that simply striking the leaked documents from the case and disqualifying Stovall would not adequately address the misconduct.
The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department reopened a criminal investigation at Mayorga’s request in August 2018.
In July 2019, the Clark County District Attorney’s Office announced they would not pursue criminal charges, saying the allegations could not be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.
FULL TEXT: Buhari’s nationwide address to Nigerians on new naira
New naira crisis: Violence spreads in states, three killed, banks burnt
Naira: Why govs rejected FG settlement terms, says El-Rufai
Nigerian marries American, scams her of $200,000
Amaechi absent at Tinubu Rivers rally
Old N500, N1000 notes no longer legal tender –Buhari
Marketers ignore FG, sell petrol for N230/litre
Wike, four others not relevant outside PDP – PCC spokesman