The Federal Government has again postponed the reopening of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, saying the April 30 date earlier stated will no longer be feasible.
The Minister of Works and Housing, Mr Babatunde Fashola, who dropped the hint, said the development was due to heavy traffic being experienced from toll gate to the Kara Bridge section of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.
Fashola made the appeal in a statement signed by his Special Adviser on Communications, Mr Hakeem Bello, and made available to the News Agency of Nigeria NAN on Sunday.
He said the reconstruction work on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway had entered its final phase with work within OPIC area between Kara Bridge and Long Bridge completed.
He lauded the patience of the motoring public for enduring longer than usual traffic as the reconstruction work in the heavily built-up stretch progresses towards the finish line.
He said the earlier envisaged April 30 date for conclusion of the final stretch could not be achieved due to a combination of factors.
- Two children, five others burnt to death in Lagos-Ibadan highway crash
- Seven die, 14 injured in Lagos road crash
- Seven burnt to death, 14 injured in bus crash on Lagos-Ibadan Expressway
“This means that the main carriageway, both bounds, from Berger (New Garage) and Sagamu Interchange on Section 1 of the Project has been completed,” he said.
Meanwhile, the Federal Government on Sunday revealed that road work between Kara Bridge and the Long Bridge has been completed.
He said, “Work within the OPIC area between Kara Bridge and the Long Bridge has been completed and will be opened to traffic today, Sunday, April 30. This means that the main carriageway, both bounds, from Berger (New Garage) and Sagamu Inter-change on Section 1 of the Project has been completed.”
While empathising with the general public over the heavy traffic, Fashola noted that, “the intensity of work and the high volume of traffic which had to be accommodated at the same time have been complicated by impatience on the part of some motorists who drive against the planned traffic flow and breakdown of vehicles.”
Giving an update on the situation, The Federal Controller of Works, Lagos, Umar Bakare, said all concrete barriers causing obstructions had been removed, allowing commuters to move freely and significantly reducing traffic.
He said, “Yes, we have opened the bridge to traffic and we have been monitoring the situation since morning. We have removed the concrete barriers. The situation now is that traffic is moving freely right from Jaja to Kara Bridge toward Shagamu and the long bridge.
Don’t attack embassy staff, ambassador warns stranded Nigerian students
CBN supplies more new notes to banks
Presidency lists Buhari’s achievements, highlights economic landmark
Man hangs self in Lagos, traditionalists perform cleansing rites
LP fumes as Apapa-faction invites Obi, lawmakers-elect to NEC meeting
JUST IN: Yari meets Buhari, says North deserves Senate Presidency
Presidential jet flown abroad for ‘comprehensive maintenance’
Accept defeat over election you lost woefully, FG tells Obi, Atiku