The Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors has directed its members to resume work today (Monday) following a five-day nationwide warning strike embarked upon by its members.
NARD, after its three-hour Extraordinary National Executive Council meeting, however, said it would review Federal Government’s commitment to resolving the issues in the next two weeks.
The association on Friday signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Federal Government to address the issues raised by the resident doctors.
NARD, however, said it would be reviewing the strike in two weeks
Recall that the NARD on May 17 embarked on a nationwide strike to press home its demands from the Federal Government.
The doctors are demanding immediate massive recruitment of clinical staff in the hospitals; immediate withdrawal of the bill seeking to compel medical and dental graduates to render five-year compulsory services in Nigeria before being granted full licences to practise; immediate infrastructural development in the hospitals with a subsequent allocation of at least 15 per cent of the budgetary provisions to health in line with the 2001 Abuja declaration.
- BREAKING: NASS, resident doctors to meet Friday over strike
- Doctors strike: Bayelsa recorded full compliance, NARD officials say
- Pay rise: Resident doctors begin warning strike Wed
Other demands are the immediate payment of the 2023 Medical Residency Training Fund in line with the agreements reached at the stakeholders’ meeting convened by the Federal Ministry of Health on February 15, 2023; the immediate increment in the Consolidated Medical Salary Structure to the tune of 200 per cent of the gross salary of Doctors in addition to the allowances included in the letter written to the Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire on July 7, 2022, for the review of CONMESS; among others.
The President of the association, Dr Emeka Orji, in an interview with our correspondent, said the strike had been suspended with effect from 8am on Monday.
He said the association would review the progress regarding its demands during its ordinary general meeting in Lagos.
Orji said, “The strike has been suspended and work resumes at 8am tomorrow (Monday). The ultimatum extended till June 2, 2023, for reassessment.”
The Publicity, and Social Secretary of the association, Dr Umar Usman, said, “Before we embarked on the strike, we called a National Executive Council meeting and the council gave us the backing and we promised that it would be a five-day warning strike and at the end of it, we will call them to the progress made.
“So, we will resume tomorrow as agreed. Since we have signed a MoU with the government, the agreement has a timeline and it was agreed that issues will be addressed with timelines. We will review the commitments made and to know the progress about the issues raised.”
Japa: 128,770 Nigerian students move to UK in seven years
Buhari leaves legacy of kidnapping, inflation, debt
CBN excludes mint company from printing cheques
NDLEA arrests baron in Lagos hotel over N567m seized drug
Swear you didn’t steal public funds, El-Rufai tackles Kaduna ex-govs
Kano TikToker quits dancing, seeks to marry Hisbah commander
Nursing school withdrew my admission due to disability – Edo lady
Buhari Years: Despite much rhetoric, insecurity triumphs